Wednesday, June 17, 2009

C25K...WEEK 1... DAY 2!!

Couch to 5K: Week One
Week one is designed to get us gradually started on a running routine and slowly build our running abilities without burning us out from starting too fast. This program is designed to be run three times our first week with a resting day between each run. We'll have a brisk five minute walking warm-up followed by eight sets of 60 second interval runs. A 90 second recovery will follow each interval and we'll finish up with a 5 minute cool down.
Total Duration: 30mins

WOW!!! I got through Day 2.

Today was a bit different because I trained on the treadmill. I'm out of town on business so it's more convenient to use the hotel's fitness center before going to work. I found that I depended a lot on the glide of the treadmill. Don't get me wrong, it was still hard but I found training outside a bit more challenging. I had to remind myself to change the incline every now and then, otherwise it would have been just a straight, flat run/walk.

My legs are still very sore and thigh muscles were burning but I got through it. I'm still finding it hard so I think I may repeat Week 1 because I don't think I'm ready to move on to Week 2. Running for 60 seconds is still a very challenging task and I want to feel a bit more comfortable before increasing that duration.

I read somewhere that when training for a race/run and just training in general, it is very important to listen to your body (my trainer Rob also tells me that - proper form and doing the exercise correctly is more important and more effective than the the number of repititions or the length of time it takes to complete).

After Friday's session, I will decide if I will move on to Week 2 or just repeat Week 1. The C25K training program is a 9 week plan, but we do have about 13/14 weeks before the October 4th CIBC Run For The Cure race.

Off to work....

Until next time...

Joania (2KMINE!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment