Written By: The Veg Next Door
So you are running now with proper shoes and hopefully stretching properly afterwards. But are you running properly?
I have seen many people running too quickly, making their arms do a lot of work and running out of steam, running on their toes and insisting that it was comfortable, I've seen it all.
So here is what you should be conscious of while running. If you can run alongside an experienced runner who can check your technique that's even better. If it is not possible, then ask someone to look over the list and watch you run for a minute or so to see how you are holding up.
Here's the checklist:
* head straight and neutral
* eyes scan the horizon
* shoulders low and loose
* elbows at 90 degrees
* hands have unclenched fist
* arms drive forward and back, not across the body
* torso is tall
* hips/pelvis not tilted (think of pelvis holding a bowl of water -- don't let water spill!)
* knee has mild bend to clear ground
* stride is short with quick turnover; and
* feet land under the body between heel and mid-foot.
It is a good idea to scan your body and think of the list when you run. Proper body alignment will prevent injury.
If you have any questions please feel free to comment or drop me a line: firstname.lastname@example.org